Kickstart Your Big Idea in 2014
Perhaps you’re looking to pen your first cookbook but don’t have the extra funds to self-publish or to hire a professional photographer. Or, maybe you’re working on launching your first clothing line but can’t afford airfare to take much-needed buying trips to score that luxe Italian silk that really sets your clothing apart. Kickstarter may just be your secret weapon. The website allows users to upload videos promoting their new product, idea, book, business, food truck, etc. and allows them to accept donations from users by a designated date—so you can meet your mega-fundraising goal and get your project off the ground. Here’s how it works:
- Grab a few of your friends that excel at writing and compose a script. Practice.
- Borrow or rent a high-quality video camera to shoot your video. You could even pay an film student at your local college to film it and edit it for you (be sure to give them a credit at the end of the video).
- Make sure that your message, your product and your image are solid. Know what you’re selling and be sure you can tell people why they need it. How is it different from what is already out there? What will your business or unique product bring to the community?
- Sell your personal story. Part of the reason why Kickstarter is a successful tool is that it showcases the individuals behind a brand. Let viewers know you, believe in you and want to support you.
- You need to come up with a money goal. But here’s the deal, you only have until your end date to raise funds. And, it’s all or nothing. For instance, if your goal is $10,000 and you only receive $8,500 by your end date, you don’t bring home any cash and your supporters’ credit cards won’t be charged.
- Post to social media like it’s your full-time job. You need all the help you can get, and the more views to your Kickstarter page, the greater your chance of meeting your goal!
Check out cool projects like this one at kickstarter.com and start fundraising.
Thinking about posting a project to Kickstarter? Share it with us on Facebook.