Fraud-proof your Business
As a small business owner, you’re not only the purveyor of goods and services, you’re a watchdog against credit card fraud. To protect your customers and your store, you and your cashiers must always stay on high alert.
For card-present transactions be sure to train your staff on the top warning signs of fraud:
- Always ask for customer ID and check to make sure the customer’s driver’s license and credit card signature and names match.
- Look for evidence that the card has been altered.
- Know your business, and what does and does not constitute a typical transaction.
- Look for warning signs from the customer. Is he or she sweaty, anxious and suspicious? Did he or she jump into your lane while you were changing out the register/in the middle of a closing-time rush?
- Pay attention to customers who buy things with a high resale value, or who re-enter the store after a large purchase and continue shopping.
If you or one of your employees suspects fraud, it’s imperative that you call Code 10 immediately. Here’s how.
Read additional tips for preventing card-present and card-not-present fraud by visiting CoCard.info. We are always available to answer any questions/concerns regarding fraud, your POS System, transactions and more. Call us! 1.800.317.1819.